Wednesday, May 2, 2012

24 Weeks: We are viable!

Week 24- Our first huge milestone reached!  The twins are viable!

Weight Gained: 28lbs.  The nurse at my OB's office scared me to death, because after weighing me this week, she said that I'll need to talk to my doctor about my excessive weight gain.  I'm pretty sure that she forgot I'm having twins, because my doctor is thrilled with where I am- especially considering the fact that I'm carrying 10 pounds of fluid in my calves/ankles!

Cravings:  Chocolate chip cookies, Greek yogurt and jalapeno string cheese.  Strange combo, I know.

Food Aversions: Nada- just about anything sounds good!

Symptoms: Hello, insomnia!  I can't sleep anymore.  I might fall asleep for an hour, but then I'm up for at least that long before I can fall asleep again.  When this cycle precedes a night of work, it's not pretty.  Trust me.

How I'm Feeling:Very pregnant!  In the past few weeks, I have really popped.  I can't see my feet anymore!  I've also managed to pull a muscle in my ribcage with all of the coughing, so every movement hurts, and there's this strange popping feeling every time I inhale.   Oh, the wonderful things that pregnancy does to our bodies...

Exciting Stuff: First and foremost, this week marks the beginning of viability.  If M & J were born today, they would have a fighting chance of surviving.  That's a pretty big deal.  In celebration, we've made serious progress on clearing out the office/nursery.  Right this minute, the only obstacles between office and nursery are an empty desk and sewing machine cabinet.  Once those make the move to storage, we can buy baby furniture!  Jack's baby blanket was coming along nicely, but I ran out of blue yarn so I had to start on Molly's.  A fortuitous turn, as it happens, because I really love working on them together.

Weekly Worries:  My OB gave me the following prescription: lower my salt intake, drink more water and REST.  She also said I need to wear a support belt to help with my back pain.  This isn't so much a worry as a farewell to my cheeseburger habit.  So long, McDonald's- I'll miss you.

11 comments:

  1. Rest, rest, and more rest. I have treated a baby born 25 weeks and she is doing well. My niece was born at 27 and she just got married in the Fall. Keep those feet up!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderfully scary feeling- we have 24 week twins in our NICU right now. I need these guys to keep cooking for quite a while longer, because I've the wide range of outcomes. It's always encouraging to see the wonderful success stories of micro-preemies!

      Delete
  2. Happy Viability! That's about the time I really started enjoying my pregnancy : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for viability!!! I cannot wait to reach it next week- it seems like the first of many milestones when it comes to keeping these babies in as long as possible :) I was waiting for a weight gain talk yesterday, but she said everything looked great- whew, I can't give up my chocolate milk shakes just yet- though I'm terrified my GD test in 4 weeks may say otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 24 weeks!! Enjoy your furniture shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for reaching Viablity!! I woke up this morning and did a little cheer for myself for reaching it myself!! Boo for no more Cheese Burgers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Viability!!! Ahh I've been craving cheeseburgers too and now I want one.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news, I do hope they stay with you for more weeks to come until they are ready for this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for viability!!!! And bop that nurse on the head!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how fast time flies, although I am sure you feel like sometimes time is not going by fast enough. I know I felt like that particularly in the beginning. I can't wait to see your blankets. We find out Tuesday if we are having a boy or a girl!
    xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered how you were doing! Time is going WAY too fast- it was painfully slow for the first few weeks, but now? Lightning speed! Hopefully you will post an update when you find out if you are expecting a boy or a girl.

      Delete