Sunday, July 8, 2012

34 weeks- stick a fork in me!

Please forgive my pitiful lack of posting.  Everything is just fine, but there are lots of reasons I've been slacking.  Chief among them is the fact that I can't really feel my fingers, which makes typing really difficult.  This is also the reason I haven't finished my Thank You notes from our showers, and my baby blankets probably won't be finished before the babies get here. Things could definitely be worse, but I had no idea how hard things are be when your fingers don't respond appropriately to your commands.  Enough whining:  here's an update!

Weight Gained: 51 lbs-  I cannot believe I've gained 1/3 of my pre-pregnancy weight.  I'm now 33% heavier than I was 8 months ago!

Cravings:  I am averaging 5 ICEEs a week. I know, I know- they have no positive nutritional content whatsoever, but it's been 100+ degrees here and this gal is HOT!

Food Aversions:  More than 5 bites of anything solid.  I can drink water/juice like I'll never see another glass, but after a few bites of "real" food I'm done.  Heartburn is almost instantaneous, and I feel like I've eaten a 7 course meal.  There's just no room for food in my belly anymore!  Miraculously, this is not preventing me (or the babies) from gaining weight...
  
Symptoms:  Insomnia, carpal tunnel, nausea and edema galore!  Without pharmaceutical intervention, I cannot sleep and therefore cannot function.  My doctor gave my a prescription for Ambien, and it's been a lifesaver.  I got more sleep in one night after taking it than in the previous week without it.  It took a few days of courage-gathering before I decided to take it but in hindsight, I wish I would have talked to my doctor sooner.  It makes all of the other uncomfortable-ness so much more bearable when I'm rested. 

How I'm Feeling:  Medium Rare.  In other words, almost done.  I have days when I think "I can't do this anymore!" and days where I feel pretty good.  They balance each other out.  Either way, we will meet Molly and Jack in less than 4 weeks.   Where did the time go?

Exciting Stuff:  The babies are almost done cooking!  Whether the nursery is perfect, or the house is completely baby-proof, M & J will be here soon.  While this is completely terrifying, I am so excited to meet them.  They make themselves known on a very frequent basis- rolling around, stretching and vying for more space.  Jackson is measuring 6 lbs 2 oz, while Molly is holding her own at a respectable 4lbs 9oz.  I'm carrying almost 11 pounds of baby, y'all!!

Weekly Worries:  You know what they say about the best laid plans?  My original goal was to work until July 1st.  Paul and I then modified said plan and I decided to work until the end of July to maximize my time off once the twins arrived.  Ultimately, this decision was not up to me at all- my MFM doctor decided put me on modified bed rest on Thursday.  He is concerned that with the babies' rapidly increasing weight (read: because Jack is such a porker), my cervix won't hold up much longer if I stay on my feet.  While they would most likely be just fine, with minimal NICU time, if they were born today, my goal is to bring these guys home with me from the hospital.  So, I am piddling around the house, resting and waiting.  I have amazing bosses, so hopefully the time off will work itself out.  It always does, right?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetie, terrific news on the baby front. Love that the babies are such a great size, little Miss has a few more ounces to gain and she will be ready! Sorry you are feeling so yucky, but before you know it this amazing experience will be over and you will be feeding, burping, changing diapers and trying to get two little ones to sleep at the same time so you can shower. Keep your feet up and rest.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! I'm nearly certain the bones (?) at the bottom of my pelvis will break at any moment and the boys will just fall right out- they feel SO BIG! Seriously the amount of food/shaved ice I've consumed lately with zero nutritional value is insane! We just have a few more weeks, we can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you are feeling crappy but woohoo to those babies getting to the right size! I cannot believe they are almost here. I remember when we first "met" not he PGD board and you were hoping for normals. TIME FLIES. I was hooked on Starbuck's Passion Fruit Decaf Tea till I learned I could not have hibiscus. What else are you drinking besides ICEEs? It's been brutally hot here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait- we can't have Hibiscus?! Because I've been loving the Shaken Passion Tea Lemonade. I've been drinking a ton of water and fruit juice, too. And I agree- time has gone by so, so fast!

      Delete
  4. Hang in there! I hear ya on the numb fingers. I can't feel my right hand and it is driving me crazy. I write one thank you note a night and that is all I can manage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yowsa! Sounds exhausting!

    It must be weird to be NICU nurse and know exactly what your babies would look like/act like/be at each "age" of your pregnancy if they were out already. It's got to be tough to be feeling like you are, but your babies are doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Margaret, I am so happy to hear those babies are still inside. You are doing such an amazing job taking care of yourself and those babies. I am so surprised more women do not talk about the numb fingers and hand tingling when pregnant. Hang in there, ICEEs sound really good right now, I think I am going to head to Super Target to get a Strawberry Lemonade one.
    xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete