Sunday, August 7, 2011

On a Whim, Blueberry Style

We went to the farmer's market this morning to get pulled pork burritos.  I know...  it's an odd reason.   Despite all of the fresh fruits, veggies, homemade spice mixes and canned goods, our sole purpose in going this morning was breakfast.  It was a wonderful breakfast but apparently, it wasn't the holy grail of our mission.  As we were walking around, I found these beautiful blueberries.



Fresh blueberries are just different than the ones you find in the grocery store.  They smell and taste like blueberries, while store bought berries smell like the plastic clam-shell boxes they're packaged in and taste about the same.  $3.00 later, I had a pint of blueberries in my bag and a million ideas floating around in my head.

I knew the recipe had to be simple- baking is completely out of my comfort zone.   Boxed brownies are a challenge for me.  Sad, I know, but nothing I bake ever seems to turn out right.  Finally, I found this recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  It seemed simple enough, and I had a cup of sour cream kicking around in the fridge that was on it's way to expiring.  Armed with my farmer's market purchase of aforementioned amazing blueberries, I was ready.

The ingredients are assembled and ready!

Approximately 2 hours later, I was rewarded with one of the most delicious things to ever leave my oven.  Seriously.  It's fabulous.  This recipe is definitely a keeper, and I may have to reconsider baking as a hobby.  Probably not, but I will be making this round of yummy-ness again.  :)

Excuse the impromptu lemon glaze...
A slice of heaven!


3 comments:

  1. You are correct, it was amazing! I would like it if you decided to make this on a regular basis, as long as you continued to share it with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, it sure looks like you can cook to me, that cake looks very yummy. And you are right blueberries from the store just don't taste the same as fesh ones at the market. Have a lovely day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete