Thursday, February 16, 2012

Update: The Great and the Not-So-Great

Well, I survived my first appointment with out perinatologist and I really, really like him.  Actually, everyone in the office was great- his receptionist, the MA, the ultrasound tech...  they just made me feel comfortable.  Considering how unbelievably nervous I was, that was no easy task.  Now, on to the important stuff.

The Great News:  Everything looks good with the babies.  They are kicking around like crazy and just generally being cute.  The ultrasound tech was so thorough and pointed out everything she was looking at.  I mean everything- it appears that Twin A is our little boy, while Twin B is all girl!  Of course, that information was quickly followed by, "You can't hold me to this 100%, but I've never been wrong before!".  No worries- we're just glad that they appear healthy at this point!

Now for the Not-So-Great News:  My cervical length is 3.3 cm.  This is okay, but not fabulous.  It's a tolerable starting point and I am very thankful for that, because it could be worse.  However, my doctor has advised me to cut back on my work hours.  My schedule consists solely of 12-hour shifts right now, and he strongly suggested that I not work more than 8 hours/day.  For the past week, I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions during the latter part of my shift.  I thought it was too early for those, but apparently it is not.  He is concerned that I am over-doing things a bit, and research shows that healthcare workers who work 12-hours shifts have a much higher incidence of pre-term labor than those who have shorter hours.  So, I've talked to my boss and we are going to work out a schedule that makes everyone happy.

Overall, things are still looking good.  I knew that I'd have to cut
 back on work during this pregnancy, but I definitely was not prepared for it to happen this early.   In the grand scheme of things, I know that a few months of of working is nothing.  After everything we've invested emotionally and financially,  we have to take every precaution and I'll do anything to keep these babies safely tucked away as long as possible!

She does have legs, I promise! 
The Little Man, Baby A
 

3 comments:

  1. I think this is fantastic news, you have two beautiful babies growing inside of you, work is nothing. You need to rest, and rest, and keep your feet up, and be doted on by your husband. So glad those cuties are happy and thriving.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear that the babies are doing great!!

    I, too, have been having B-H contractions a lot. And, as I realize, now, they were happening much earlier than I realized they were. (Who knows what's going on down there when it's your first time?) They were making my cervix shorten too much, too. The measurement freaked me out and I cut WAY back on the amount of standing and walking and stair climbing I was doing for work and my cervix has lengthened out and the contractions have gone WAY down in frequency. It used to be scarily regular but now it's maybe one or two a day. Cutting back is definitely a good thing and, as you say, definitely worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! So happy to hear the little ones are doing great! Are you on your feet most of those 12 hr? Happy you were able to work something out with your boss!

    ReplyDelete